Welcome to the Neighborhood Acupuncture Place!

Here you will find answers to your questions about acupuncture as well as simple natural remedies.

Thanks for stopping by.



Powered by Love a Local Business.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Training for a 5k-Marathon? Try Qi Gong to help increase your endurance

Qi Gong is a limb of Chinese Medicine. It is a way for individuals to cultivate their own energy and keep their bodies strong. It is often considered a meditation of movement.

I am in the midst of preparing for the shamrock shuffle. I haven't been an advid runner since high school cross country and my enthustiasum for running has definately wanned over the years. I've been running a few times a week for the past couple of months to start to prepare for the 8k event. Perhaps one of the biggest challenges I've noted during my lackadasical training is my mind and feeling like I might not be able to run fast enough or have the endurance to finish the race.

Yesterday I set off to run 4 miles, my longest running session thus far. What I did first before starting my trek was a 45 minute qi gong sequence I learned last spring at the Qi Revolution with Jeff Primack. Here is what I noted during my run.

>>My breathing was smoother and less labored even during inclines.

>>My mind was more at peace and I had less thoughts of "when will this be over?" and more of a feeling of strength in my body and an "I can do this" attitude.

>>I wasn't sore the next day and actually felt more energized.

Because training for any event is a mental game and your breath is so important in delivering fressh oxygen and nutrients to your muscles qi gong feels a perfect compliment to training. While qi gong is more stationary than your areobics class might be, it is actually a powerful cardiovascular exercise that also helps to calm the nervous system rather than rev it up. It is a wonderful addition to receiving acupuncture and can be done at any age. While I was in China I noted old women practicing tai chi together in the park as well as young people practicing martial arts of many varieties.

Qi Gong is ideally practiced in a group because it helps magnify the benefits. Dr Pam Fernandes offers a free hour long qi gong class in Huntley at American Community Bank on Tuesdays at 1:30. I went last week and it was a nice class especially if this is all brand new to you. She makes modifications so that if you need to you can do all exercises seated as well. Patch.com did an article on her class you can read here.

Here is a quick you tube video to show you what qi gong is.


Sarah Zender LAc

Neighborhood Acupuncture Place (NAP)
230 Florence St
Crystal Lake IL 60014
815.893.9825
www.CLnap.com

No comments:

Post a Comment